It's Tuesday and I have the day off from work. Just about to go to the Big Mill Markets in town and see if i can find some new old patterns! And get stuck into a day of sewing. I have already cut out 2 skirts!
I have been digging around some old pictures and thought I would share some of my older projects... If you care to take a look....
First is Advance 8047, Which I had serious pattern lust after seeing kamikat's version on the Fedora Lounge. So I snapped it up straight away!
This is one of the first dress patterns that I ever tried. I didn't make a muslin (I rarely do unless it is a pattern that I have drafted myself). I had only made skirts and singlets before and this seemed to be hard to follow, at first, with the vintage instructions that were half worn off! I used a bengaline suiting that hangs quite nicely but it also "lightish" to wear in the summer. It came in a rainbow of colours and I got some in red also. (To make the Colette "ceylon" dress coming up later in this post).
It seemed to come together and was finished within 2 days. I love the neckline and the colour and it fits perfectly which was lucky... although next time I will make it a more pencil skirt, its quite straight.
I'm hoping to make another version soon as I have been staring at this one for almost a year! eek.
So I thought maybe it was time to make somebody else some clothes. I'm always neglecting my lovely man with those long hours hidden away in my sewing room, so he was first on the list. I made a coupe of shirts using this pattern that i found on ebay (I think) (also, Cowboys are right up my alley!)
He picked the fabric himself and did a mighty fine job if I do say so myself. A nice brown check cotton and some pinwale cord for the yokes. This is the result of the better part of a days sewing (and fighting with the sleeve plackets. For some reason the instructions seemed REALLY confusing, but when I read them now they make perfect sense.... idiot!)
Here is shirt #1:
And Shirt #2 from a cotton voile with olive green, blue, black & white checks:
This one is not finished yet as you may be able to tell by the raggedy anne sleeves (look ma' no hands!) and the lack of buttons...
These came together quite quickly and he has already worn the brown one (yes in public) so he must like it a little bit....
I will be posting again later with a catch up post on some older projects.... I'm off to the sewing room AKA "the abyss" or "black hole" haha
The Sunshine shrug pattern. Thanks Lisette for the pretty pattern. Cant wait to start knitting it up. Oh and it is all on single point needles which is handy. I have pretty and oh so soft orange mohair that I think will work fine and dandy!
I'll keep this post nice and short since it is sunday night!
Hope everybodys weekend was great. Will be posting some more pictures during the week :-)
After reading the book "Vintage Hairstyling" by Lauren Rennells, I felt like fooling around with my locks.
This is not one of the actual styles but just a little play around, looks pretty ridiculous.
Turns out that I need practice with smoothing the rolls and also hiding the bobby pins! how do they do that???
hmmm where to start..? ok the leapord cardi/jacket, I started it mid last week and itt is almost done. It still needs buttons and button holes but other than that....
The fabric is from spotlight believe it or not and it is a lovely stretch velour haha (It reminds me of Kath and Kim for some reason....). I was in a long line for the cutting counter and saw it on the way... its a dangerous road getting to the counter - Must dodge pretty pre cut fat quarters, Go past the trims and the discount table. tisk tisk. Its times like those that you need tunnel vision.
The pattern was drafted by myself using This book by Cal Patch (which is brilliant by the way), I have only tried drafting once or twice before and this book makes it simple somehow. This is the second version of the "betty jacket" that I've tried (The first is a comfy black one for work) and they fit like a dream! Think I will try the pants pattern next.... should be a challenge.... are they really as scary as they seem?
So, as it was a long weekend I hit the sewing machine, dusting off the fluff from the velour, cup of tea in one hand and a slight hint of lager on my breath after a big day of brewing beer the day before. I decided to make a nice light dress. Ok so I know its winter here at the moment. But my lovely man got us tickets to Darwin and the first thing I thought of was dresses. Light, airy, loose dresses. (I was in Thailand for almost 2 months last year and was NOT prepared for the heat at all!
The pattern I used for this dress has been in my stash for a few weeks its Simplicity 2406
The fabric was a soft cotton voile in a mushroom like colour and the facings were a light pink faille. They seemed to work together but I couldn't quite catch it in the pics. I'm liking the sash and the little hexagonal button that I found in my button stash.
It was quite quick and easy and there were no issues (besides only having black serger thread...bugger!). I have a couple of the other Cynthia Rowley patterns to whip up sometime soon.
Thats all for today ladies and gents and all in betweeen, stay tuned for some knitting tomorrow. I have three scarves on the go and keep making promises for more....
My name is Renay and I am the only one I know who sews and knits (my friends call me grandma) and I am in desperate need to talk needles and bobbins with other like minded people.
So, I'm setting up this blog mostly in preparation for 'Self Stitched September', since i participated in me made may but did NOT document any of it. Silly girl. But also to get some motivation and inspiration from you guys!
I will be making a few posts in the next few days about what I have been sewing/knitting/doing.
So drop by and shoot me a comment, I would love to hear from you all :-D